Wednesday, May 14, 2008

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez....Where to start.....

I have been floored by all the kind words, and emails I have received. Every time I felt I was at my lowest point I would get an email, or see a comment that was posted, or someone would call. It helped to pick me back up. There are too many people to thank. But, I want you all to know that EVERYONE had an impact. It meant the world to me. So, thank you all for keeping my family in your thoughts. I'm sure that it helped.

It has been a rough couple of days. I'm going on a total of 17 hours of sleep in the last 5 days. No one's fault but my own. I'm afraid to go to sleep, because I'm such a hard sleeper, and I have convinced myself that I will miss a call from the hospital, or I won't hear my daughter during the night, if she needs me. I know that won't happen. But, that's where my mind is right now. Considering everything that everyone else has gone through, I think I'm getting off easy. I'm not complaining. I just won't be settled until everyone is in the house, where I can keep an eye on them.

On that note.....

Brooke and Max are coming home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday!!!!!!

Brooke is getting better every day. They use a pain scale of 1-10. On the first day she had her pain at a 9. It has gotten progressively lower since then. Today, at one point, she put it at a 1. It's going to go back up. But, I'd be willing to be that she never thought it would get down to a 1, at any point. Overall, she's probably at a 4, now. Pretty good for someone whose foot was facing the wrong direction just a few days ago. We have a hospital bed, and a few other things, coming to the house tomorrow. She won't be able to walk for 6 weeks. No weight on the foot. Period. But, my wife is tough. She is up sometimes, and down others. Brooke has always done what she needed to do, even if she didn't like it. She's always been the steady one, and she takes care of business. She's my rock. To see her in a bed, with a cast on her leg, is tough. But, we both know that she'll be fine. Time is all she needs, and she's got it. She's always taken care of me, and now it's my turn. Of course, if she has to eat my cooking she might break the other leg just to get back into the hospital. Either that, or starve. Both are far more appealing than eating anything that I might make in a kitchen.

How about the boy?

Let me tell you something, pal. You better NOT mess with Maxwell Steven Bartholomew. Did you have a bad day? Did your boss, or someone, yell at you? Did you fold like a cheap suit? Well, Max isn't even supposed to be BORN, yet. He's already beaten DEATH. Top THAT!!!! This kid has beaten EVERYTHING they have thrown at him........

They said that he didn't have a heartbeat.............He got one.

They said he was too little..........He was almost 7 pounds, birth. (initial reports of 6 lbs. were amended.)

They said that they were concerned about his breathing.......He started breathing better.

They said that if he didn't start eating they were going to stick a tube down his nose.....He started eating.

They were concerned that he was having trouble breastfeeding......He started doing it.

They were concerned about his body temperature......He regulated it.

"Miracle Max" is pretty amazing. More than one of the nurses have told us that what this kid has come through is nothing short of incredible.

I'm thinking of telling him, tomorrow, "Max, you CAN'T win the lottery." Based on his history, I'm pretty sure he would come right out and do it. Just because he's Max, and that's what he does.

Let me tell you something else, though. Max was in what is basically baby ICU. He was far and away the healthiest baby there. When I went down to see him, which I did several times a day, I had to wash my hands with scalding hot water, for 5 minutes. After I did that, I would put my eyes down, and walk right to where he was. There was a reason for this. I felt guilty. Max was going to be okay. But, there are A LOT of babies there that may not be. There were other parents that were there, every day, too. You could see it in their eyes. They were beaten, but they were clinging to hope. I know what that feeling is like, now. I was there. But, in a very short period of time, I was able to walk away from it. These people can't. Not yet, and maybe never.

Their baby is in a plastic box, and they can't even touch it. Or, their baby has tubes coming out from all over its body. In some cases, all they can do is sit there. I could walk in, pick up my boy, and hold him in my arms for as long as I wanted. They couldn't. If there is a Hell on earth, it's in the baby ICU. Imagine the person you love the most, who is completely helpless, and you can't hold them in your arms and make the hurt go away..........Now, multiply that by 1,000,000...............You MIGHT be close to what it's like. Do you know how many of these parents would have gladly taken their baby's place? Every single one of them. I know that I would have done it for Max, when we were at the lowest moment.

That's why I started looking down. I didn't smile, and I didn't go bounding in, with a spring in my step. I washed my hands, went to my son, and talked to him in quite tones. I didn't want to rub it in. I didn't want to look like I was gloating. Every last one of them would have killed to pick up their baby, like I was mine. But, they couldn't. My heart is with these people, every time I hold my son.

Man, I didn't mean for this to be a downer. It's funny how you notice things when life hits you in the face.

Bottom line:

Brooke, in time, will be okay.
Max, in time, will be okay.
Spenser, my little girl, is ready to help mommy, and take care of her little brother.

Me? I'm thinking, a lot, now. Lots of different things. But, as soon as I can get everyone safe again, I promise to stop thinking, and get back on the air. My wife has always told me that, when I think too much, bad things happen. So I'll stop, soon.

In the meantime, thank you ALL for your kind thoughts, and words. I simply can't express how much it all meant to me.

Thank you.

Casey

38 comments:

Kim said...

That is fantastic news, Casey! I'm so happy for you and your family. After this past week, you're allowed to be happy about holding your boy. It's okay to be happy about it, even considering the environment at the hospital.

Take care of yourself - get some SLEEP - and enjoy this time with your family as best as you can.

Hugs

Jeff said...

Who needs The Dark Knight when you've gone on this kind of rollercoaster?

Laurie said...

Casey,
I just read your last blog and had you and your family in my prayers, so I was glad to read this one! I miss you on the air, but you spend as much time as you need with your family during this time. I am glad to hear that Maxwell and Brooke are coming home and Spenser must be so excited to meet her little brother! Once everyone is home you will get that much needed rest! My nephew spent time in the infant
ICU, so I know how your feel. And he was 9 lbs 14 oz. - so he was huge next to the little ones in the ICU.
I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
PS: Now you know how many people really read your blog!

Unknown said...

CONGRATS on (finally) getting your whole family under one roof again....with Max as a HUGE bonus !!!!! Now the fun starts :) Do you plan on having any help: ie: a home health aide or homemaker??? Might be worth the investment...it will keep everyone's 'mood' on a more even keel.....You, Casey, can't expect to do EVERYTHING.....this includes baby care, child (Spenser)attention....and more than anything.....taking care of Brooke while she is confined to bed....WOW...I'm tired just thinking about it.........BUT HOW GREAT.!! That your wife AND brand new son can come home.....The folks at my church still have you on the prayer chain so you have (at this one location) at least 100 dedicated believers praying for your wife's speedy recovery and your son's continued good health and growth.........Enjoy all the changes you'll soon be experiencing.....the time goes by so fast, you'll blink your eyes and be a grandfather and wonder where the years went !!

Unknown said...

Hello Casey and Family,

All the best for a speedy recovery and so glad for Max's continued progression.

Diane said...

Casey: God's continued blessings to you and yours -- "Miracle Max" has a great ring to it!

And way to step-up, man-up, however you want to word it -- sometimes it takes something major like this to put EVERYTHING in perspective, and to realize the strength of character truly inside you! You are a great role-model (as is Brooke!) for your young daughter and new-born son. The strength you show as parents certainly rubbed off on them -- keep up the good work!

thequietman said...

Casey, finally broke down and registered for a Google account just to tell you that this is wonderful news! And just when you couldn't have me crying at a blog entry like the one you submitted earlier this week, this one topped it. I could feel the heartfelt sympathy and consideration for the other parents in NICU you had. Good luck to you, Brooke, Spenser, & Miracle Max, (and get some SLEEP, for crying out loud.) :) Ray'll hold down the fort in NJ till you're all here with us. Let us know if you need anything.

Sharon from N.J. said...

What wonderful news, Casey!! Your story has touched my heart in so many ways. But, you must take care of yourself also. Brooke and Max will need you more than ever when they come home.

Just remember that you have alot of fans that are praying for you and your family.

Love you on the show and truly miss hearing you. Looking forward to your return.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on what's happening.

Big hug,
Sharon from N.J.

donna said...

Casey...have thought about you and the family since word came on Monday. What a traumatic/amazing story. God bless you, the family and all the other families in the NICU. What a sweet guy you can be. Look forward to more positive news, donna

DisneyKidsDad said...

Great news Casey!! Glad to hear everyone is on the mend. Now you can start looking forward to his
"First Disney Trip".

Terry said...

It's wonderful to hear the news of your family finally being under one roof!!! Scary as hell!! But, you must take better care of yourself and get some sleep. You have to be there for them and they will need to rely on you.. Take your time and enjoy this segment of your life. Its only the beginning!!

Unknown said...

Congratulation on the birth of your son. The same exact thing happened to me when I was 8 months pregnant with my 3rd. Watch for depression with Brooke. It was very difficult for me not being able to fully take care of my children. I listen everyday, the shows not the same this week without you!!

Unknown said...

i don't have a google acct. had to use my husbands. jim wasn't pregnant. Gina was. HA!

Glenda said...

Glad to hear all went well. Glad to hear all are doing better and Miracle Max is coming home!

Jen Hainley said...

That is wonderful that everyone is alright! I agree about the baby ICU - a friend of mine is a NICU nurse, a job that to me would be a fate worse than hell but she loves it. Anyway, best wishes and we'll keep you guys in our prayers. Good luck with the cooking and get some sleep before the boy comes home!

Marianne said...

What a week!!! God bless you and your family. Continued progress for Brook and Max. Sleep for you and excitement for Spencer's new brother to come home. Miss you and hope you will return when the time is right. Your family is #1. Keep us informed.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear everything is okay and that your wife is getting stronger every day. Congratulations on the birth of your son, Maxwell.

And look what you've done to your Blog audience... 87 comments. Take that Bob Ingle. The most comments I saw on his blog was 57 (all anonymous)

God Bless and hurry back!

G.M. The guy that sends the stupid cartoons for you webpage.

13newts said...

I was so glad to read that your family is doing so much better!!! I'll still pray for continued recovery for your family and all those still in the baby ICU.

Best wishes and congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Casey!! I'm a constant listener. Love you and Ray together!!! Sooooooo glad to read that everything is going well with your family. You and they are in my prayers. Enjoy being with them now that the danger has past. I know that they will become more precious to you. Rest and take care of yourself. You are no good to anyone if you get sick.

Looking forward to your return to the Jersey Guys. It's not the same without you.

Hugs

Lisa said...

YAY!!! That is awesome news!!! Keep up the good work!

All the best wishes for you, of course, but also for your family. Of course the "Jersey Guys" isn't the same without you, but I hope you get to take as much time as you need. We will HAPPILY miss you until Brooke is back on her feet again, literally.

It won't be easy, but we'll be here for support. You don't always have to be the funny guy.

Do Brooke a favor, though. Order out once in a while. Or maybe Spenser can cook. :)

JOCOMET said...

Casey,
I would like to congradulate you on the birth of your son. I would also like to say I am very happy to hear that your wife and son are doing well, they are in my prayers. I wish you and your family a very long happy and healthy life together.

John

cocomari said...

Dear Casey and Fam,
Congrats on your new baby. I wish your wife a speedy recovery. Casey it's so sad to see sick little ones, but you have every right to rejoice in your healthy boy and not feel guilty, you went through alot before you were able to hold him and know he is healthy. God Bless. Get some sleep would you?!!

Unknown said...

sitting hear and f'n tears are still coming down my face....best wishes to you, your wife and max.

Unknown said...

all I can say, is I hope that your wife is better real soon, that had to be a serious injury!!! I am so happy that your son is fine, and your wife is fine, and that they are coming home!!! I work with many of those babies, that you see in the ICU, after they come home. And, they are all truly miracle babies...I am so glad that your miracle baby is already coming home!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post. My baby was a micropreemie in the NICU for two months, so I was one of those parents you were talking about, and your description of the NICU atmosphere is dead on. Your compassion for the other parents in the midst of your own experience is amazing. I am glad your baby and wife are doing so well.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear things coming together. Let me say too - you are an AWESOME writer. You say and use a lot of little words and phrases (on air and in writing), really grab a reader!!

Tom

rtt470 said...

Great news Casey.
It sure it must be a great feeling pretty grand starting a new life as a family of FOUR. All will be fine. We'll keep praying for you guys.
Rich in South Plainfield

A said...

"Miracle Max". Well, now we know that you read all of your comments! Hope this is a lifelong trend for him to always rise above whatever he needs to.

So glad everyone is coming home.

Suzie said...

Ok it's Friday morning now. You have your family home. Maybe Spencer is back to school, maybe not. But things are going to be normal again soon.

In the meantime, you owe me a box of tissues. Kleenex with lotion please.

It can wait until you get back to NJ :D

Anonymous said...

congratulations!!! So good to hear that all is doing well with the family. Before you know it, the whole family will be home and you won't remember what a grand entrance Maxwell made in to this world.

Take Care - Janet

Meredith said...

I'm so happy to hear that your family is all home and safe!!! Sending lots of prayers and hugs to Brooke and Miracle Max, as well as to you!!! We miss you on the air but know that you are needed elsewhere!!! Can't wait to hear all the stories when you get back......and I'm sure there will be some really good ones ;)

ms_intensity55 said...

Casey,
You are almost through this first week of fear, worry and uncertainty. I know, as I have told you before, I have been there both with the same injury as Brooke sustained and earlier with the birth of my son. When my only child/son was born with cranio-facial birth defects in 1978, he was one of those infants in a "plastic box" in Neo-natal ICU struggling to breathe. His tongue was surgically sutured to his bottom lip to prevent it from blocking his airway. He survived numerous surgeries. The first at 2 days of age and the last correction at age 5. In the first year of his life I never slept, because he could not feed, he had a cleft palate and a recessed jaw along with the sutured tongue. TODAY, he is a PHD student in Neuro-psychology and he is do to defend his dissertation in June!Sweet destiny for a baby who did not have the ability to suck on a nipple, sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time and had speech therapy through elementary school. I told you Max will shine!Kids, who enter the world fighting are unique and continue to be special. It won`t be long now, Brooke will adjust to walking with a walker, putting no pressure on the limb and she will even be able to do most of the things a new mom has to do...but she will need some help. Perhaps, her mom or a mother`s helper for a little bit? Again, happiness and love surround you and your blog indicates you are at peace with the situation. Now, all you need is a little bit of sleep.
God Bless,
Maria (Sarah, My Space)
PS-Hey look at it this way, now you are able to go to the dentist and nobly look at that guy with the drill straight in the eye....

StudioRase said...

I'm glad your wife and son are well and healthy. You make a great point about all of the other parents and the baby ICU. While I don't have children, imagining what my friends and family would go through under similar circumstances for *any* loved one shows how related we all are.

Be well, try to relax and don't forget that Spenser will need a little extra love as well as Max and Brooke.

Great energy is headed your way!

Sherr

Big Joe Henry said...

Wow, unbelieveable! I can't imagine going through a lifetime of emotions in a matter of hours. It had to be surreal. I'm thinking of you and your family, my best to Brooke and I know that "Mighty Max" has a special place in everyone's heart beating the odds the way he did. Wow! Take a deep breath or sigh, your choice, and i look forward to seeing you back at the ranch. Congratulations, and all my best to all of you.

Big Joe Henry

Anonymous said...

Casey, today was the first day I got a chance to read your blog and find out why you haven't been on the air for the past week. Your postings, esp. where you described how you cried when you found out your wife and baby would be okay, was so touching it made me tear up, too.

I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS to you and Brooke on your new baby son, and to Spenser on her new brother, Maxwell. GET WELL SOON to Brooke. And to you, Casey: Hang in there, get some rest, and know that you and your family are in a lot of people's prayers, including mine.

You are right: We don't know what we have until we almost lose it. Life will seem all the sweeter to you after this ordeal.

Cheryl said...

Casey, I just had a chance to read the blogs. First let me say CONGRATULATIONS on your new addition to the family. Second, thank god everyone is healthy. I know a little what Brooke went through with her ankle. That happened to me 1 1/2 years ago. I broke my ankle in 3 places and dislocated it as well. 9 screws and a plate later, I'm doing fine. Ankle is still swollen. Drs. say it will never look the same, but thank god I'm walking. Give your family my blessing. Postive thoughts go a long way.
God Bless

KBrylczyk said...

Casey -

First off, I've just got to say it now, that you're the single greatest talk-show host in history. When you came back to 101.5 to replace Craig, I had my doubts, but you proved me wrong very quickly and have been doing nothing but keeping me listening ever since. Don't ever change.

Now, in reference to your blog. I'm only 22 years old, myself, so I can't relate myself to the miracle of childbirth just yet. Honestly, it seems like something I could never fathom myself. Although, reading your words, your love for your wife and your love for your newborn son, I can't help but be moved. I can only wish to have that feeling of protection someday. The need to ensure that my son or daughter is taken care of the the very highest of standards.

I thank you for being such a great man, Casey. While you may have some controversial opinions, you are purely a role-model to me. Keep on keepin' on, sir.

Looking forward to many more great shows in the afternoon -

- Kyle Brylczyk

elonkeys said...

Hi, Casey,

Glad to hear things are settling down (in some ways) and that the "Brave Bartholomew's" are all under the same roof. Yes, you are all brave and now the Royal family of NJ 1010.5! Queen Brooke: for coming through her ordeals and looking at her recouperation straight in the face, she is "one tough cookie" - Prince Max: for his ability to gain enough health to leave NICU and be able to come home, he is one special little man - Princess Spenser: for being there when mommy, daddy, and little brother needed her the most, hasn't she grown-up a lot this past week!! everyone's angel - and for King Casey: mighty head of the household who showed us all that even though he fronts a tough exterior, he is "soft and squishy" on the inside and the most caring of husbands and fathers - you are spectacular!. You are all simply amazing. ... and you still have that "wonderful (!?!)" move to NJ to make.

I know you're not a religious man but, I believe in my heart that prayers are the greatest strength. They lift you gently and support you in your time of need. The Bartholomew's have a lot of support!!

I will continue to keep you all in my prayers, look forward to having you back on the air, and getting continued updates through your blog.

Stay well and get some sleep - you don't want to be one of those drivers dozing at the wheel - hmmm... a topic for on-air discussion???

Peace and Wellness!!