Monday, February 25, 2008

Penny

Back in the beginning of 1996 my then girlfriend, now wife, and I had been living together for a couple of months. All was going good, and we decided to get a cat. I had never really been a cat person. I, sort of, viewed them as disposable pets. All the cats I had ever had, had hung around for a while and left. But, Brooke was a cat person.....Not like the movie.....She just really likes cats.

Anyway, we went to our local PetSmart, and went over to the place where they keep the rescue kitties. I was immediately drawn to this mean looking little cat, with a half black/half orange face, who wouldn't look at anybody, and seemed generally annoyed to be there. Brooke fell in love with a little, gray, tabby cat. I was trying to sway her toward the mean kitty. But, she was hell bent on this tabby she was looking at.

I reached into the cage, to try and get the mean cat, and it just glared at me like I was some kind of idiot.

Stupid cat! I said. I'm trying to get you a home, and you aren't helping!!

Just then, Brooke let out a yell. Her tabby cat had given her a pretty good scratch on her arm. She no longer felt any love for the tabby. In fact, given the opportunity, she may have turned it into a rug. But, I doubt it. Like I said, she's a cat person.

Now was my chance. I reached in, pulled out the mean cat, and showed it to Brooke. She was fine with it. She was bleeding, and just wanted to go home and put a couple of band-aids on her hand. So, I was able to get the mean cat. I named her Penny, after Pepe Le Pu's girlfriend.

She had been a ferral cat, which was why she didn't like anyone. Plus, she had had kittens, which is why no one wanted her.

When we got her home, she hid in the closet, and would not come out. Not even to eat.

Stupid cat! I would say. Fine. Stay in there and starve. See if I care.

She eventually came out.

At first, I was the only one she liked. Actually, "like" probably isn't the right word. Penny didn't "like" anyone. She just had different levels of tolerance for different people. I guess she just had a high level of tolerance for me.

In the days before EVERYTHING was on the internet, I had to read about 15 different papers a day. It took a long time, and I would get that black crap all over my hands.

Penny would come and sit on my lap, and make it almost impossible for me to do my work. Honestly, I think she did it on purpose. Just to annoy me.

Stupid cat! I would tell her. You aren't making this easy on me.

Anytime we did anything that Penny didn't like, she would just glare at us. You could actually see her take a deep breath, and look at us. If she could talk, she would have said, "What the hell did you two morons do, now?"

We moved, to 6 different states, and she glared at us.

We brought in other cats, and dogs, and she glared at us.

We had a baby, and she glared at us.

When we decided to start fostering Greyhounds, we had to "cat-test" them, to see if they were safe with cats. We needed a cat who wouldn't run, or make a big fuss about the dogs. So, we volunteered Penny. She was thrilled.....

We would put her down in front of a dog. If it lunged at her, it failed. If it didn't do anything, it was safe. When the dogs would lunge at her, she would just sit there, and glare at them.

Stupid cat! I would tell her. If one of these dogs ever got you, you would have a major problem.

She would glare at me, and walk away. "Moron," you could almost hear her say.

Last year, in the dead of Winter, we lost her. There had been some freezing rain, one night, and she never came home. My wife and daughter were upset. So, at 10 o'clock at night, I bundled myself up, and wandered around the neighborhood in the still damp weather. In my high-pitched, muppet voice I walked all over yelling, "Penny!! Kitty, kitty, kitty."

I did that for close to an hour, and nearly froze my ears off.

Nothing.

The next day, I pulled into my garage, got out of my car, and Penny came running around the corner.

Stupid cat!! I said. You could have froze to death.

Saturday morning I got up, and shoveled the last of the snow off my driveway. It was a beautiful, sunny day. Even though the snow would have melted off, girl scouts were going to be decending on my house, to pick up their cookies from my wife, and I wanted to make sure the snow was gone before they got there. It was a great morning. I only get to see my wife and daughter on the weekends. I was talking to my wife, while she got the cookies ready and I shoveled the snow. It was nice.

My daughter went to play at a friends house, and my wife and I got cleaned up. We noticed that Penny wasn't right. She was 15 or 16, now. We were never sure which. She had kidney issues, and renal failure. We thought we had a few more months.

We didn't.

After going back and forth, we made the tough decision. She was suffering, and we knew it. We'd had her for 12 years. Longer than our daughter. It was tough. But, it was right. Penny was done.

My wife and I went to the vet. The doctor came in, and assured us that we were doing the right thing. She gave us a few minutes. Then, my wife went out to the car. It's something that they don't tell you about in the husband/daddy handbook. One of many things. You stay until the end. Period. And, yes. It does, in fact, suck. But, you do it so that no one else has to.

They gave Penny a sedative. She relaxed, and I rubbed her under her chin, which she loved. She purred. That made me happy, because she had been so uncomfortable, that she hadn't been able to purr. They came back in, and gave her another shot. She purred for a few more seconds. Then, nothing. She was gone.

They said they were sorry.

I nodded.

They told me that we did the right thing.

I nodded, again.

No one said anything else.

I went outside. The sky was a perfect blue. The sun was shining. I just stood there, for a minute.

My wife was in the car, upset.

I thought about the little blonde girl that I was going to have to face, later. It's something else they don't talk about in the handbook. And, yeah. That part sucked, too. I would have rather given blood, again.

I took a deep breath, and walked to my car with an empty cat carrier.

Stupid cat................

11 comments:

The Old Man and His Dog said...

Ok, you've redeemed yourself. You are a man. I know exactly how you feel, as I'm also the one that has to do these difficult things. I adopted a beautiful dog that no one else wanted. She's on my blog.

Sorry about your cat Casey.

shore_girl said...

I try to listen to your show most days. At one time there where more pets and people at our house (6 cats, 3 I inhereted from my daughter, 3 Italian Greyhounds).

I feel your pain and loss, even though you did the right thing is does not lessen the empty feeling and sense of loss one feels.

Again, I am sorry for you and your family.

Sarah said...

Sorry about your cat, Casey. I'm not really a cat person, but it's always so sad when you lose a pet. The right decision is usually the toughest, but I am sure that Penny was ultimately grateful that you were able to let her go so that she could let go of her suffering.

Just last week (or two weeks ago?) Chris Booker of the Q102 Morning Show had to make the difficult decision to put his cat down, a pet he'd had for the past 10+ years. I'm sure he can offer some nice words of wisdom for your situation (booker@q102.com). And you're a good man, to do those things so that no one else has to; just make sure you add it to the handbook.

Kate said...

I'm so sorry about Penny.

SmokeysMom said...

You're normally such an oaf, I can't believe your depth of feeling. I do understand it though. I know you loved your 'stupid cat' and I commiserate with you. Again, my sympathies.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about Penny. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. You had no choice with what Penny had.
I hope you can find comfort in her memory and knowing that you gave her a GOOD life.
Cheryl

danah768 said...

Hey Casey,

I totally understand how you felt about your cat, Cats can be far from friendly at times but you always know where you stand with them..they are honest and don't pull any punches. They decide when they want to lay down with you..it is always on thier terms..but for some reason they know who loves them always, I liked you from the first time you said you that rescued Greyhounds..You and your Wife are really great people and I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Alot of people will make light of it but it is truly a sadness, I feel bad about the fact you have to explain it to your little girl...I have had to explain this at leats 4 times to my 2 kids ..never gets any easier...

Don't give up on cats..even though you say you are not a cat person ...you are now... and you and your Wife did such a great thing giving that little girl cat the life she would have never had if you had not walked into that Petsmart...

Anyway love your show and I respect you even more..despite your muppet voice LOL...kidding.

Take care Dana

Apostolos said...

Condolences on your cat, my friend. Nevertheless, a very well-written account which... well, made me sniffle a little. I have three of these felines at home (Thank you, dear Stepdaughter!) and I dread the day when I have to go through what you did. All the best!

Fifthrate said...

Been there too. Totally upleasant duty. You have my sympathy.

Anonymous said...

My condolences. I have had to do that three times, so far. The first time I couldn't talk at all. Like with you, they talked and I just looked down and nodded or shook my head, couldn't get the words out. I left the carrier there, couldn't handle taking an empty one home. I did have three more cats at home, but missed her dearly and still do. Oh, btw, it doesn't get any easier, I take that back, in a way...I could at least get the words Thank you out and did take the carrier home with me the next time.

um said...

You softie. I knew this about you. :( I feel your pain. I had to put one of my cats down in November, the first time I've had to do such a thing. But I wimped out and couldn't stay. The vet was wondeful though and I felt better, at least, that my dear cat was with people who cared about animals at the end.