Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It Was The Year That Was, The Year That Was

As we move from 2008 to 2009, I believe we should use this as a time of hope, and reflection. A time to learn from the mistakes of the previous year, and use our new wisdom to make the coming year one of shining optimism. Basically, we should take a moment to lie to ourselves about 2008, and fool ourselves into thinking about how good 2009 will be.

On that note, here are a few thoughts:

-If you thought the economy in 2008 was bad, just wait until you see 2009. There are two other types of mortgages that are going to, basically, collapse in the coming year. They are known as Alt-A’s, and Option Arms. Without getting too technical, these are loans that basically started off with the payment being at, say, $800. When the adjustment happens, many of these payments are going to, in some cases, nearly double. This hasn’t happened, yet, but it’s GOING to happen. When it does, things are going to get worse, not better.

-I didn’t vote for Barack Obama. I didn’t agree with nearly anything he was running on. That being said, we should all get 100% behind him. Things suck and they’re going to get, shall we say, suckier.

-According to Joe Biden, within the next 6 months the terrorists are going to do something to “test” our new President. I always hated tests. I’m not looking forward to this one.

-As he leaves office, I hope people will remember that Bush wasn’t nearly as bad of a President as the media allows you to believe. He tried to fix this mess, in ’03, but got blocked.

-Things will get worse before they get better. But, they will get better. “This, too, shall pass.”

-I lost 20 pounds, this year. I hope I don’t gain it back.

-Heath Ledger will probably win an Oscar. I saw the movie. He was okay. That’s what I think of him as an actor. He was okay. I hope they don’t reward him just because he was stupid enough to kill himself.

-Dane Cook is still not funny. I don’t know why people keep paying him to try.

-They didn’t think we would ever give up our cars. But, when gas went through the roof, people started driving less. Suck it, OPEC!!!

-I just can’t watch baseball, anymore. It’s boring, and takes too long.

-Basketball players look stupid in those long shorts.

-Having a pool is more trouble than it’s worth. Everyone told me, but I didn’t listen. You all win.

-Jessica Simpson has a nice body, but really isn’t very pretty. I think she has extra teeth. Creepy.

-I like country music more as I get older. But, I don’t drive a truck, and I refuse to hunt.

-I have a fake Christmas tree, and there are needles all over my carpet. What the hell!?!!

-I still drive a minivan. I’m 39. I think I need to have a mid-life crisis. If for no other reason, I want a better car.

-At this time next year, we will still be in Iraq. You see, it doesn’t matter who’s in charge. Things never really change.

-I’ve started taking my daughter to breakfast, every weekend. I know she’s only 8, but she’s getting older. Soon she won’t want to have breakfast with her old man. I want to cherish this time.

-Computers still break when I touch them. Maybe 2009 will be better for that.

-“Big Bang Theory” and “The Office” are the funniest shows on TV.

-I still enjoy “Heroes.”

-“Hannah Montana” is a funny show. I wouldn’t watch it if I didn’t have a young daughter. But, it’s still funny. I hope Miley Cyrus saves her money.

-In New Jersey, Governor Corzine will continue to do things that will screw things up in this state, for years and years to come. I think it’s his mission. He might be a pod person.

-The Beatles are still the best group, EVER!!! Nothing has changed. Probably never will.

-I’m going to write more, in 2009. It requires more discipline than I often have. But, I want to do it. So, if anyone would like to come over and discipline me, feel free. I need it.

-In 2008, I realized what I want. I don’t know if I’ll ever get it. But, I know what it is. It’s good to have goals, I think.

Most importantly, for me, 2008 was the year that my son almost died. I blogged about that. If you want to go back and read it, you can. I’m not going to rehash it. It still hurts. I am haunted by the images of tiny babies, with tubes coming out of every part of their bodies. Thank God I was able to walk away from that. The economy can crumble, and the various wars can go on. I can’t control that. My boy is here, and he’s thriving. For that alone I will remember 2008 as a good year.

I only started this blog, this past year. Many people enjoy it, and some people hate it. Some find me mildly amusing, and some think I’m an untalented dweeb. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Either way, thank you for indulging me. I’ll continue to try and do whatever it is that I’m trying to do, in the new year. I hope you all stick with me.

In the meantime, I wish you all health and happiness in the coming year.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Casey

P.S. You have my permission to slug the people who say “See ya’ next year,” when you aren’t going to see them until after the 31st. I hate that.

12 comments:

Busty Yorneekaps said...

Very nice entry. But you would still watch Hannah Montana even if you didn't have a daughter.

Anonymous said...

This is a great post.

I feel the same way about Heath Ledger.

I think you are so very smart for taking your daughter to breakfast during the weekend. Time goes too quickly and those are memories you will both cherish for a lifetime.

I am very glad your son is okay. When something like that happens it really puts things in perspective and we remember what is truly important in life.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you & your family. When are you going to update the entry titled Something Different? I would like to see at least one more entry to finish it up. I hate going through life not having finished a story. But that's just me. Have a safe Hoilday. Esther/PA.

Anonymous said...

i have to tell you casey, you are my favorite host on 101.5. whenever i drive during your airtime, only you and ray can be heard coming out of my speakers.

"casey is right. casey is wise."
you should really get bumper stickers made with that printed on them. i'd buy one.

Tara said...

As always Casey, you crack me up!

I do have a GOOD note for your troops in Iraq post.. The Iraqi gov't wants only NON-US troops now.. So this summer we will now be inhabiting Afghanistan! WOOHOO! from one sand box to another! and my friend is going AGAIN.. i just got one back! ugh. but anywho.. keep up the great work on 101.5! and i do hope you hold up to your end and blog more.. you make me laugh!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
~T

Anonymous said...

there's this annoying girl at my work who has been saying "see ya next year" for like the past week, thank you for the permission to slug her!

ps you are my new favorite radio host since judi left

Anonymous said...

In what fantasy land did Bush try to fix this mess in 2003? And don't give me any crap about Fannie/Freddie, because they aren't the reason why we are in this crisis. Bush is exactly bad as he is made out to be, maybe worse.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Casey, I didn't know your son was that sick! I'm glad he's doing well now. I was sick as a baby, too. Maybe that's why I'm a cranky bastard when I get a little cold!

Spend time with your daughter and son now. My daughter's 25 and just got married! Boy, do I feel older now.

You and Ray always make me think. I may not laugh, and I may not always agree with you, but I do think.

I'm surprised Judi just disappeared. I don't remember any hinting on the air about her imminent departure. It would have been nice for the station to post something. I hope she's well.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Steve

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and your family, Casey.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Casey. I didn't think I would grow to like you, but I actually have! I have read your blog a few times and I remember when your son was born and it was so terrifying. I am so glad everything worked out and I pray that your wife is healing well. I like your no-nonsense style. I agree with you about Bush. I agree with you about Corzine. I agree with you about Heath Ledger. I also agree with you about Hannah Montana, lol. I hope Miley turns out OK, people really say awful things about her private life. I have two granddaughters and we watch it together. So, Obama will be here very shortly and life will be most interesting, won't it! I didn't vote for him but I will support my President. Just hope I have a few bucks in my pocket when the dust settles. Phew. Here we go.

Anonymous said...

Casey,I hope you and your family had a great Chritmas,I`m very happy the baby is doing well that can be so scary.You&your family have a very happy New Year, I really like listening two you guys,your good together you give your partner the respect he never got before.

Unknown said...

I realize I am a month late posting on this entry, but I just started reading your blog today and so I am backtracking my way through. You are hilarious, Casey! Your writing style reminds me of Dave Barry. I think you should write a column. :)

Also, I can't believe there is someone else out there who loves "The Big Bang Theory" - I thought I was the only one!